The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan


Before we get started can I just say that I love Rick Riordan. Yes, I know that his books are written for children and are normally put in the 8-13 years category but I love myths and legends, especially the Greeks so the Percy Jackson series were kind of perfect for me. I even loved when it became Camp Halfblood and Camp Jupiter stories. I was let down by this book though.

Riordan always have problem with his dialogue where it feels slightly forced. He feels that there should be some speech but isn't too sure what the characters should actually say so they'll either say something unrelated to the story or crack silly jokes which I doubt even a 10 year old would find funny. The writing also becomes fairly juvenile at times (to coincide with the dialogue?). Yes, I know I'm an adult so I should find it fairly childish but how did Rowling manage to write books for children and adults alike, making sure not to alienate either audience? This was published in 2010 so Riordan must have worked on these issues for the Gods Of Olympus series to not have such similar problems.

Another recurring theme with Riordan's books is about food. When the characters are hungry they go somewhere/meet someone who just gives them their favourite food. I want a little hardship. I know this isn't The Hunger Games but I think having to forage for food when on the run from demons and Gods isn't such a bad thing.

The characters of Sadie and Carter are meant to be 12 and 14 but felt more like they were 15/16, despite the childish arguing throughout the book (don't even get me started on the side notes where the book was 'recorded'). Sadie was brought up in England so says things like 'bum', 'mates' and 'bloody hell' but about halfway through she loses her voice and practically turns into Carter, to the point that I had to check who's chapter it was (2 chapters Sadie, 2 chapters Carter throughout the book). Sadie also fancies Anubis which seems to be reciprocated but just feels wrong to me. She's 12 but Anubis is 5000 in the body of a 16 year old. It all feels a little Twilight and icky to me.

Riordan also seems to like prophetic dreams as all of his characters can't sleep without drifting off somewhere which becomes quite tedious after a while.

Despite all of this, it was an enjoyable book. It had nods to Percy Jackson like not going to Manhattan because of the 'other Gods' there. They mythology was spot on with Riordan's own little twist. I read some other reviews where they felt the magic was similar to Harry Potter with the wands etc but magic is about elements (earth, air, fire, water) and wands are a big part of magic mythology.

I will read the second book of the Kane Chronicles, The Throne Of Fire, and I'll try to be as open-minded as possible.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments

Popular Posts