Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg


I love Simon Pegg! Ever since I first caught an episode of Spaced on Channel 4 (with the sound turned down so my mum couldn't hear what I was watching...I was probably about 12/13 years old) I fell in love with this comic who loved all things geek as I did/do.

This book truly let me down. I wasn't looking for dirt when I picked this book up, I was looking for an insight into how this man had gone from a small town in Gloucester to being Scotty in Star Trek. What I got was mainly how disappointed he became with Star Wars.

I'm not asking that a biography be linear in its progression, but one minute Pegg would be describing one event just to lead off into another event years before (or later). It was slightly confusing with not very many anecdotes that would explain why he was meeting with certain people, they were just present.

If I were a budding comedian looking for guidance on how to get into the trade (I'm not) then I would have learned nothing from this book. Lee Mack's Mack The Life told everything he did to get to where he is but Pegg glossed over every detail making it seem as though every opportunity just fell into his lap.

I still love Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost, but I think I'll just stick to watching their films and admiring them that way.

*scuttles away to dig out her Spaced boxset*

Comments

Popular Posts